Reply to post:

Two years ago, 123-Reg and NamesCo decided to register millions of .uk domains for customers without asking them. They just got the renewal reminders...

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I would have said Gandi too, I use them for work and personal domains, but I'm less and less enamoured with them. Their "no bullshit" slogan is itself total bullshit. The support is dreadfully slow, there's more frequently problems, such as huge delays transferring in .uk domains, their interface doesn't seem to cater for .uk domains so usually needs them to prod it on the redundant authorisation code step.

Their migration to their v5 interface/platform looks like a bodge, it's now two different platforms mashed together with different authentication. I'm still using the v4 interface, maybe some of these problems are fixed in v5. But as I recall, that requires me to change nameservers and maybe lose some other functionality, and I just don't want to do that en masse on 100+ active client domains for no good reason. Although I'm still uncomfortable about my registrar basically running two very different platforms, and seemingly more or less abandoned the 'classic' one. At least, none of the bugs I've discovered have ever got fixed.

Guided by comments here, I'm going to give Mythic Beasts a shot.

On the plus side, Gandi have always offered 2FA and whois anonymisation for free and haven't pulled any of the nonsense 123reg became famous for, I wrangled every domain I could (couple of hundred) away from them years ago. Utter crooks, so this latest scam doesn't surprise me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon