Reply to post: What a pointless exercise..

700km on a single charge: Mercedes says it's in it for the long run

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

What a pointless exercise..

First off, the full empty-to-80% recharge will need a mother of a supply to make it work for more than one car, or some way of creating a supply buffer.

Secondly, although electricity is going to be the main energy provider of the future, sticking it in batteries will require better batteries. Lithium has a couple of problems, one of which is that when it starts burning, the fire brigade can do exactly nothing to extinguish it other than dragging it into a container and let it exhaust itself - I was recently informed this could comfortably take two days or more. This potentially means that E-cars could end up being banned from things like Eurotunnel and maybe even underground garages as that sort of long term fire can cause grave structural damage.

I see more mileage (pardon the fun) in either hydrogen conversion or the electro fuel experiments where they combine gathered CO2 and electricity power into fossil fuel replacements from kerosine to petrol and diesel. It appears Germany is well ahead in that, and it has as main advantage that we already have the infrastructure in place for it. What is still missing is a good supply of power as solar and wind are by no means enough, but that is slowly being solved as well.

I will not buy an E-car just yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon