Reply to post:

Do you want fr-AI-s with that appy-meal? McDonald's gobbles machine-learning biz for human-free Drive Thrus

JeevesMkII

Someone has to do it, though.Someone also has to haul your rubbish away, clean your office space, pack purchases at the Amazon warehouse and keep the sewers unblocked. According to your philosophy, all these people apparently fucked up their lives and deserve nothing but miserable penury for their moral failings.

I think if there were a general strike we'd all be clamouring for the fast food workers to go back to work long before the insurance company middle managers, stock brokers and, yes, IT professionals.

What is valued is not the same thing as what is valuable. I'm a software engineer and I don't think I've ever had a job where if the entire company went away anyone would be much the worse off. Why then am I paid so much more than the cleaners without whom the whole office would descent in to squalor within days? I can't imagine having the sheer brass balls to lecture ANYONE who has a full time job on how they don't deserve to be able to have a roof over their heads or food on their table.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon