Reply to post: Re: Dubious

Mozilla Firefox to begin slow rollout of DNS-over-HTTPS by default at the end of the month

Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Dubious

"I'm little suprised you've gone to the effort of setting up you own DNS Server, yet dont understand the basic principle of dns lookup i.e. the CLIENT decides where to go to get its dns from. All a DNS server does is say "hey i can do your dns for you if you cant. But if the client has it set, then it will use that first."

@IGotOut,

I'm a little surprised you've gone to the effort to make that post when it clearly shows you don't know what you're talking about.

Now, we all have holes in our knowledge; we all make mistakes; but it's particularly important to make sure you're bloody right when you attempt to correct someone in such an arrogant way.

Just some friendly advice.

And now the obnoxious bit: I have been running my own authorative nameservers for over 20 years, and over 25 years ago, was responsible for the DNS at the site I worked at, and was so much involved in helping the national networks team (Hello ICL, STE04, Stevenage) that it had been arranged for me to train the staff on how to run DNS properly (for the 100 odd locations across the country, although BRA04 seemed to be knowledgable, and were doing their own thing, and must have been annoyed at the corpoprate DNS system too)

As it happens, I left the company in 2001 before this happened, but have been involved in dns/ip4/ip6 networking for almost 30 years.

You're welcome!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon