Reply to post:

Apple programs Siri to not bother its pretty little head with questions about feminism

doublelayer Silver badge

I see your point. I like civility, and I would like to see everyone, from kids to those a couple generations older than me (who aren't all that much better at it), to start being more polite in conversation. I'm afraid, however, that making an electronic device ask for them will turn it into the worst parody of those over-obsessed people. You know the ones: the people who have actually said the phrase "You didn't say the magic word" without irony to someone over the age of three. It also happens that many of the requests a device like this answers aren't typically said with "please", including most of the ones in my original post. The please essentially becomes another required wakeword for the device, and loses the meaning we* were trying to get across. As such, this has the potential to be counterproductive, and I think it will be pretty silly or irritating, depending on your viewpoint.

*We: In the sense of parents, people programming the devices, and people setting up the devices. As I'm a member of neither group, perhaps "they" would have been the better pronoun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon