Reply to post: Re: Radicalization

YouTube's radicalizing Alt-right trolls and Facebook's recruiting new language boffins

imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Radicalization

It's easy to place people on the general political spectrum. Peterson is definitely on the center-right. There's nothing all that controversial on his position in a general view of the world. Most of what he's known for is his resistance to the whole gender pronoun thing and can be summed up by: "I should not be FORCED to have to go out of my way to use very specific language just so you don't have your feelings hurt". And quite frankly I agree with him on that.

As to the funding from Rebel Media, that's not entirely the story. His research grant from the University of Toronto was cut off (for somewhat dubious and badly argumented reasons) and Rebel Media (amongst others) started a crowdfunding campaign to give Peterson the money he needs to continue his research (That's not his salary btw, but money to hire and pay PHDs, fund the execution, etc). That means the money he's getting isn't coming directly from Rebel Media. Sure some of the crowdfunding "sponsors" might be right wing extremists, but that can't and shouldn't influence the research itself The results are still scientific work, they're still publicized, it's still open for peer review. If the work he delivers at the end is of all this IS indeed far right wing ideology then maybe we can take something from it, but so far, none of what he has published is really far-right wing material. And even if it were, the correct way to fight it is to provide peer-review and data to refute his research.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon