Reply to post:

Apple says sorry for Siri slurping voice commands of unsuspecting users

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Well, the whole thing of only apologising after getting caught, and not being all that honest up front, certainly isn't better. Nor, does it seem, were the original practices.

A more interesting question is whether the response (the practical response, not the words) is better. The whole identifier nonsense doesn't seem any better; undoubtedly somewhere at Apple there is a database with a table containing both the GUID and either an IMEI or Apple ID or some other key that is unique to a customer. And "dissociating" the data from that GUID doesn't help anyway because there are sure to be backups. So a thumbs-down on that one. Nor, I would say, does it matter whether the person reviewing the data is a contractor or an employee. That's a legal distinction that really means nothing in terms of privacy. However, the ability to opt out *a priori* (rather than "deleting" the data after the fact) is a major improvement and seems superior to others.

That said, at least on macos Siri has always been opt-in, which is best of all. If you don't turn it on, none of this stuff matters.

Better? I dunno. Probably a little. Not enough to make me even think about turning the silly thing on to begin with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon