Reply to post: Re: Bring compatibility problems to Window, not the other way around

Microsoft's only gone and published the exFAT spec, now supports popping it in the Linux kernel

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Bring compatibility problems to Window, not the other way around

I'm completely fine with you implementing EXT4 support for Windows. But unless it gets installed by default, it's useless for most cases. The average user isn't going to understand that they have to open the partition they see, install the driver, then remove and reinsert the media, probably after restarting, and then it'll work. That will just annoy them. And most people who have EXT4-formatted removable media aren't going to bother partitioning it to include the drivers for Windows, and for that matter Mac OS as well.

For removable media, I want the guarantee that I can plug my disk into anything, and the files will be there without needing to deal with drivers, request extra access to install them, or require reconfiguration. We already have a thing that does that, and it's FAT. The only tiny problem with FAT is that it contains a couple very irritating defects, the most obvious of which is the limit on file size that can quite easily be exceeded. But because we don't have anything else that pretty much every operating system understands, I still use it for most of my removable media. Getting a better version that doesn't have those defects and having that run on everything new would be wonderful. I don't really care which particular filesystem it is; if everyone adopts EXT4 I'd be equally content. But it's got to be built in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon