Reply to post: Re: The cost of Win10 is far too high.

Can't bear to part with that well-worn copy of Windows 7? Microsoft might let you keep it updated an extra year

Sandtitz Silver badge
Holmes

Re: The cost of Win10 is far too high.

Keyboard shortcuts are a huge pain. To shut down Windows 7 (assuming it is the default option) is Winkey+Tab+Enter. On Windows 10, it is Winkey+Tab+Down+Down+Down+Enter+Down+Enter.

I just press Winkey+D, then ALT+F4 to get to the shutdown menu.

I'm more annoyed by the new settings menus, hiding of the old Control Panel and so on. I'm sure they're easier to use with a touch screen but they're making things harder with the keyboard warriors.

Oh, and "Lock" and "Sign Out" are in a different part of the menu as well, rather than all in the same place.

Winkey+L has locked the desktop since W2K. And C-A-D+Enter has worked since at least NT4 to lock and the C-A-D menu also contains the sign out option.

Once again, I'm more annoyed by the change of "log out" to "sign out" in the shutdown menu...

Interestingly, search for solutions for lots of these things and MS just recommends using Search.

The start menu search from Vista onwards has been very handy. No need to navigate the menus for something, just start typing e.g. 'notepad' and on my Windows it immediately suggests Notepad++ and Notepad after the first letters.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon