Reply to post: Re: Hybrids?

Electric vehicles won't help UK meet emissions targets: Time to get out and walk, warn MPs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Hybrids?

"I'm not entirely sure what circles you hang out in, but I know i've run a grand total of 9 gallons through my plugin hybrid (Gen2 Volt) in my entire ownership of it, and that was just running a tank through it to verify there wasn't an issue with the ICE while it still had a warranty since I bought it used."

"Over here, pure EV's other than Tesla's just aren't practical as only cars given the distances often needed to be traveled in this country."

See those statements don't add up and proves the point. You have a hybrid which you never need and have never needed to fill with gas. But you are lugging around a combustion engine with all the negatives of that stated above (You have to put up with slow charging, a smaller battery, less room, more failures, servicing costs etc when you could have just got an EV that was designed from the start as an EV)

The point is about subsidies. If you add subsidies for Hybrids that make them better value than an ICE then you risk that people buy them to use as an ICE vehicle as they don't have home charging. So at the moment I know of this happening in companies where there is or was a Hybrid incentive.

There's a number of EVs due out as well as the Tesla that have rapid charging. Even with a Tesla Model for $35,000 that is a very competitive price in the US that if you take into account fuel savings, incentives, lack of servicing and maintenance and expected depreciation will probably have a lower lifetime cost than most mid range cars - However depreciation is the big factor but based on a Model S which has far less depreciation than most production cars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon