Reply to post: Re: Hybrids?

Electric vehicles won't help UK meet emissions targets: Time to get out and walk, warn MPs

Qumefox

Re: Hybrids?

I'm not entirely sure what circles you hang out in, but I know i've run a grand total of 9 gallons through my plugin hybrid (Gen2 Volt) in my entire ownership of it, and that was just running a tank through it to verify there wasn't an issue with the ICE while it still had a warranty since I bought it used. The other people I know with plugin's also pretty much hate having to resort to the ICE, and even the ones commutes longer than EV range still charge at every opportunity, since every EV mile is around 1/3 the price of gas to drive the same distance. So unless the mentality is that much different on that side of the pond compared to here in the USA, i'm not buying it. After all, it's hard to believe you guys could be even less environmentally conscious than us gluttonous yanks.

Over here, pure EV's other than Tesla's just aren't practical as only cars given the distances often needed to be traveled in this country. And Tesla's are in no way cars for the masses. Even model 3's are beyond the budget of most, and Tesla's and their supercharger network are the only remotely viable option for long distance EV travel. Everything else, you're going to have to charge at minimum an hour(likely waaaay more) every couple hundred miles. Want to take a Chevy Bolt across country? Better alot a week to do it. I doubt a Leaf would even make it. In western Kansas, towns are a lot farther apart than it's total range.

So as much as you lament hybrids, the technology just isn't there quite yet for the masses to drive EV's, and I'd rather see more hybrids over more conventional ICE vehicles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon