Reply to post: Re: That's horrible.

My MacBook Woe: I got up close and personal with city's snatch'n'dash crooks (aka some bastard stole my laptop)

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: That's horrible.

Someone who just wants a laptop for the web and writing their CV can buy a legit used laptop for £150, or from a donation (or probably even a skip).

I use MacBooks because I spent decades fighting with Microsoft Windows (from Win3.1 upwards), and I appreciate the fact that I now spend more time actually getting work done, which admittedly involves more than just writing text.

Frankly, I think that anyone asserting that any device is bought purely for the shiny without bothering to check any background motives are feckless d*cks who show the exact tendency that we see on social media. I have used many an OS, including Windows, OS/2 Warp, SunOS, Solaris, HPUX, IBM AIX, Linux in its many variants, FreeBSD and NetBSD and even certified on some when I was bored, and I designed hardware and software for many of these platforms.

I have a very deeply motivated reason for using MacOS but I see no reason having to justify to some random jealous w*nker why I use my equipment any more than I have no right to criticise people who do not use it - my assumption is that they have another basis for using the gear they do.

If aforementioned w*nkers make assumptions without any factual basis it merely means they are a waste of bandwidth and not worthy of any attention.

There are reasons why I intensely dislike Microsoft as a company and Windows and Office as products, but I don't think I have the right to hold it against someone that they're using it. I'm happy to engage in discussion why I would never return to that platform, but purely judging someone based on the gear they use? Nah. Some people don't have a choice, so that would be unfair.

And I value ethical behaviour above all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon