Reply to post: Re: $deities have a sense of humor

Sueball claims Tesla solar panels are so effective, they started fires at Walmart stores

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: $deities have a sense of humor

Citation needed? Roads run east to west in probable equal numbers to ones that run north to south - the last 4 houses I lived in all had south facing roofs. From a statistical perspective I'd expect a moderately even split (ignoring that the UK doesn't lay things out on a grid very much)

I think it's an architectural thing, ie aligning the house to maximise light through windows into living spaces. Then property developers, being what they are, seek to maximise land value by cramming as many units into the space as possible. So UK has a lot of terraced/row housing as affordable worker housing. Which means smaller roof areas, and if they've also been converted into flats, the freeholder benefits. Owners/tenants don't, and the extra challenge of no off-street parking for charging EV(s).

Which is also an issue with new-builds, where cheap terraced houses become luxury townhouses because developers can increase living space by going vertical.. But still limits roof area. And EV charging, especially when UK planning laws place restrictions on available car parking space.

But such is politics. The economics may work better if your population's living in bungalows on large plots, with off-road parking space.. But not in densely populated areas like the UK.. Which is a problem for current government policy to simultaneously boost 'renewables' and massively increase electricity demand by banning non-EVs, and gas heating/cooking to meet CO2 targets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon