Reply to post: Tell Apple that..

Brits are sitting on a time bomb of 40m old electronic devices that ought to be recycled

steviebuk Silver badge

Tell Apple that..

.."He added that people should refrain from upgrading their phones every two years and go for SIM-only deals instead.

Many conflict elements are mined in areas where fierce battles and child labour are often a routine part of their extraction, the RSC noted.!"

Considering they've been, along with some of the other players, fighting "Right to repair" in the hope they can crush it and force you to upgrade every 1 or 2 years. More so Apple with their recent dick move of pairing the batteries in the iPhone 10 range to the devices. Even if you take out a brand new official Apple battery from a brand new iPhone X and put it into your year old iPhone X, the battery health service will say the battery needs attention and replaced. All bullshit. And all an attempt to stop 3rd party repair shops.

The other day I made 2 working HP laptops from one broken laptop by swapping parts. I made one working Samsung Tablet work by swapping the battery from one with a smashed screen. I've fixed about 3 tablets when the screen was dead by popping it open and reseating the screen cable. All because we can, but the likes of Apple and now even Microsoft are trying the hardest to make their shit unrepairable.

Also doesn't help local recycling plants are standardised. One will take plastic bottles with lids, another won't. One will take the cat food pouches, another one won't.

It's all a mess and Right to Repair needs to be enforced world wide.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon