Reply to post: I hate to post anything that vaguely suggests agreement with Trump....

Trump blinks again in trade war bluff-fest with China: Huawei gets another 90-day stay of US import execution

Joe Gurman

I hate to post anything that vaguely suggests agreement with Trump....

....but this was, ostensibly at least, done for a valid reason: US rural telecoms, who are generally not long on cash have invested in Huawei kit because it's so much cheaper than competitors', need the time to order and install hardware from alternative vendors. Some even qualified for federal grants only if they kept the price paid for their hardware low, so they're in effect being whiplashed by government policies.

And with an election coming next year, it'd be difficult for any Republican administration to antagonize any business sector and their customer base in solid red states who say things like, '"My members say, ‘We’re patriots, if you tell us it’s a national security issue, we’ll do it, but please provide us with the funding,’” [said] Carri Bennet, general counsel to the Rural Wireless Association, which represents companies in rural parts of Montana, Wyoming, Alabama and other states.(Source: The Washington Post [hardly a Trump echo chamber], PowerPost Cybersecurity 202 column by Joseph Marks, 20 August, 2019)

So this isn't quite a clueless as one might think from this article.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon