Reply to post: Stable Door, meet the ex-Horse....

'Deeply concerned' UK privacy watchdog thrusts probe into King's Cross face-recognizing snoop cam brouhaha

martinusher Silver badge

Stable Door, meet the ex-Horse....

I was visiting the UK some years ago, 2012 I think, and coincidentally there were a bunch of urban riots in city centers. The police didn't do much to intervene apart form collecting images and video from the scene. Over the next few months many people were systematically collared and busted for various public order offenses.

I also recall that after the 7/7 bombings the culprits were identified and their movements tracked within hours from video footage.

The UK started using technology in law enforcement back in the early 1970s in Belfast. Obviously, early steps were more prototypes, error prone and needed quite a bit of manual intervention. But that's coming up for 50 years ago. During this time people in the UK have lived with constant video surveillance and automatic tracking of their vehicles and nobody's said much (its just promoted the trade in hoodies). Now, with all the tools in place, I'm surprised that people have only just noticed.....and now we're seeing people trying to apply the provisions of the US's Bill of Rights to UK law. Good luck with that. (The Bill of Rights has delayed some of this but it hasn't stopped it in the US.....)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon