Reply to post: Re: Testing only in Arizona?

Truckers, prepare to lose your jobs as UPS buys into self-driving tech

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Testing only in Arizona?

yes, in the long run and in the grand scale, automation would lead to self-collapse of capitalist cycle and OMG, cause there's no viable alternative. Unfortunately, this... doesn't matter, because we're not dealing with a reasonable, logical species that would think that slow-burning their own house, when it's floating in an inhospitable ocean, with no lifeboat, is, to put it bluntly, a BAD idea. So, in theory, you might think that clever humans, who can visualize the future, consequences, etc, etc. would think about the self-created failure of capitalism and how to prevent this, and would go way further than just "think". And then, the reality bites: you have every one of these fuckers thinking: nah, not my problem! Nah, never gonna happen! Nah, fake news! Nah, they said we'd nuke each other and look - no hands, no nukie, we'll be fine! And, at the same time, individual specimen keep thinking: how can I get rich NOW by applying as much automation, cost optimization, human-factor elimination as I manage, by hook or by crook, and fuck the future of capitalism, I want MORE! NOW!

And this fine, intelligent, forward-looking approach has served the species very well for quite some time, because the species has been a localized, relatively mild disease. But now it has infested their whole ecosystem and by sheer numbers and resilience to natural controls can, and I'm afraid, will, burn their whole house down. So, who cares about net result of total automation, let's get into the bandwagon before others do it!!!

p.s. in the meantime, quick-thinking politicians will come up with a solution: AI will save us! Vote for me and I'll make it happen!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon