Reply to post: I feel like such an old git.

Let's see what the sweet, kind, new Microsoft that everyone loves is up to. Ah yes, forcing more Office home users into annual subscriptions

SonofRojBlake

I feel like such an old git.

When I was a kid, you just bought a TV, a car, a CD player and a piece of computer software.

Sure, you might get a loan, because some of those things could be expensive, but once you'd bought them, that was it.

Now, my TV keeps pestering me to sign up to this or (or possible AND) that subscription streaming service. My CD player and even my MP3 player make me look like a dinosaur, because everyone I know is saying "Alexa, play Baby Shark", and their Spotify subscription ensure it's not interrupted by ads. Despite having a low-to-middling job they're tooling around in a Maserati on PCP - they're paying as much as they'd pay to actually buy a sensible car they could own, but that's not good enough.

Office is just of a piece with the general trend across a lot of industries to move from soaking us once to drip-feeding money out of our accounts every single month forever, and I come across like a grumpy old man for rebelling against it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon