Reply to post: Amnesty International, Tear Fund, World Vision - time to act.

Alexa, can you tell me how many Chinese kids were forced into working nights to build this unit?

Kiwi
Megaphone

Amnesty International, Tear Fund, World Vision - time to act.

I know so many people who'll buy cheap stuff from overseas rather than a more expensive version of the same product produced locally.

This of course is wrong on multiple levels - it deprives local workers of employment, deprives local firms of income, means to some degree the goods have to travel further (obviously some components or raw materials need to be imported in most cases). And of course, it means we're exporting misery and slave labour whilst ruining our own economy and risking our ecology.

Perhaps you guys can start running some adverts that can actually point out to the selfish types who buy cheap rather than local that they're actually employing child slaves to make their products? Perhaps you can start to pressure the governments to not only outlaw child slavery locally but internationally.

If I was to travel to a country where sex with someone under 16 is perfectly legal and engage in that act, I am still guilty of a crime under NZ law and can be imprisoned once I return. Under NZ law (and several other countries do this as well I believe) it is illegal to have sex with someone under 16 anywhere in the world, even if it is perfectly legal where you happen to be at the time. Perhaps it is time to extend this style of lawmaking to other areas as well - make it a criminal offence to employ child slaves even if you're only purchasing an iPhone or Alexa or whatever. Make it worth prison time (yes I extend that to Android and any other device). Sure there'll be some economic hiccups but at least people don't buy without knowing what's involved.

I'm not advocating the wiping out of all 'child labour' however. As a kid I enjoyed opportunities to work on various farms, do paper rounds, mow lawns and do a great many other jobs to earn extra pocket money. That money allowed me to purchase and enjoy things my parents could not afford to buy for me. I've also known a few kids who simply could not perform at all at school, and letting them take job opportunities that came up when they were 13 or 14 was best for everyone involved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon