Reply to post:

Ohm my God: If you let anyone other than Apple replace your recent iPhone's battery, expect to be nagged by iOS

Hunts Joe

If Apple and others don't like 3rd party repair, they should stop selling their products and force people to rent them.

If they got the pricing model correct, lumped in decent insurance to cover lost/theft and damage, guaranteed fixed term contract lengths (the mobile operators have been doing it for years), they would maintain complete control over their devices, and there would be no need for 3rd party repair services.

If they were sensible, they would go for a reducing contract to encourage people to hang onto their existing phones for another contract period.

Apple could easily brick phones remotely if required.

In the UK many years ago, you couldn't buy a telephone for your home, you had to rent it from the GPO. Likewise, people didn't really buy TV's, they rented them. And when things went wrong the service provider arranged for the repair. If they messed you around too much, you went to a new provider come contract renewal.

As a consumer I don't really care or want to worry about this crap. I want a phone that works, when it breaks I want to be able to have it fixed and when it's past it's useful service life I want a new one.

Consumers don't argue or panic over right-to-repair rental cars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon