Reply to post: Re: So, since 1961 ...

Cloudflare punts far-right hate-hole 8chan off the internet after 30 slayed in US mass shootings

Kiwi

Re: So, since 1961 ...

Much as I don't like Trump either, he is not the root cause. The reason so many mass gun shootings still take place is because of the power of the National Rifle Association and their ability to effectively buy the support of both Republicans and Democrats in Congress.

I think it's more cultural than that. A nation that does not value the lives of its citizens soon sees its citizens act in a like manner.

I see so many in the US screaming about their right to kill someone who is approaching them because that person may be a threat (also may be a kid with the music loud lost in their own world and not even noticed the person threatening to kill them out of fear of the very dangerous act the the kid is committing by calmly walking in their general direction). In reality, they're a nation of fear, utterly terrified of their neighbour. Fear breeds hate and anger, and this is the result.

Other nations have high levels of gun ownership but no where near the levels of violence that the US has (and yes, perhaps other countries also have more violence than the US - that does not excuse the actions of US citizens nor the state of fear they allow to fester and often actively promote)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon