Reply to post: Hosting at Godaddy losing money.

GoDaddy's daddy goes: Chief exec Scott Wagner steps down as hosting biz swings into the red

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Hosting at Godaddy losing money.

I bought a domain name and as Godaddy was having a decent promotion on hosting, and with the discount code (easily available on Google) applied, a very good deal.

Two years later and the hosting renewal fee became due, and very silly figures were mentioned. At this time I remembered two of my previously hard learnt rules, Never have a main site hosted on your domain supplier. And, if you must have a purchased domain to use a host server, then make sure it is one you can throw away.

Luckily, I was able to download the site, close the hosting package, reinstall on another server I had available and repoint the name servers on Godaddy.

As to domain name registration and renewal, have to say that the prices are no longer competitive and I am looking round and comparing. (might be worth mentioning, but you don't actually buy domain names from Godaddy, you rent them. If they think they have a value, if you decide to cancel a name, they can sell it on. Although, to be honest, they are quite happy to allow you to sell the name on yourself)

Reading the article concerning the departing CEO's previous business experience made everything clear...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon