Reply to post: Re: Elastic Cloud

Bit barn raising Arizona: Thirsty Microsoft mounts blazing saddle, plants 3 solar-powered server farms

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Elastic Cloud

Palo Verde Generating Station has been the nation’s largest power producer for more than 25 years – all of it clean and carbon-free.

But heretical! That Chernobyl show didn't win all those awards just so people could get cheap, low carbon energy! And as data centres grow, and modular reactor designs shrink, a small reactor becomes a possibility for providing cheap, low carbon power.

The greens really hate nuclear though because hot Uranium can result in multi-megaton explosions that nearly destroyed the whole of Europe. Those are 'scientific facts'.. Which also lead to odd bits of 'fake news' from the usual concern trolls-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49153073

Brexit: Warning over cancer treatment supplies after no deal

...The UK produced only one type of radioisotope, the Royal College of Radiologists told Newsnight. All other radioactive medical materials are imported - the "vast majority" from the EU.

I think mostly from Holland where the reactor producing them is threatened with closure. Or there's Canada and their CANDU reactors, also threatened with closure. I'm sure the BBC's crack(head) science team can come up with a solution for creating radioisotopes using only 'renewable*' power though.

*Like, I dunno.. a breeder reactor?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon