Reply to post: Re: No One Cares

Cambridge Analytica didn't perform work for Leave.EU? Uh, not so fast, says whistleblower

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: No One Cares

So recently I moved. So now I'm getting post delivered for 2 previous occupiers. So I could open that, and start phishing.

One would hope that:

1) The previous occupant has forwarded on anything important, so the mailings you are getting are only junk mail

2) They don't contain anything you could use for phishing (given that the previous occupany will have updated their address with their bank, etc.)

3) You wouldn't take the risk of a social-engineering attack that can easily be traced back to your home address

It's not like the Royal mail provide a service where you can have your post forwarded on to your new address for several months after you move, just so that you can make sure everyone important has your new address.

I got a bit of post this morning for someone who hasn't lived at my address for what is probably over ten years. I didn't open it, as it looks like junk mail from a car dealership, but if I did, how useful do you think the information inside would be for phishing? On the other hand, if I got something in the post addresed to a previous occupant that says somethin like, "here is all the personal information we hold about you: name, address, date of birth, email address, etc.", that is going to be a goldmine for a social-engineering attack, and those aren't even the hard-core PID items like ethnicity, sexual orientation, uniquely identifying IDs (NI number, passport number), trade union membership, etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon