Reply to post: Re: Informative blog link

Dear hackers: If you try to pwn a website for phishing, make sure it's not the personal domain of a senior Akamai security researcher

Kiwi
Pint

Re: Informative blog link

Many thanks!

I've almost never read "Linux today" (in fact I had to parse your post several times trying to work out what issue you were experiencing while using your Linux computer on this particular day - then remembered that "Linux Today" is a site :)

But while we're on the subject does anyone else have problems with Linux Today.

I didn't. I did have to turn on JS for LT, WP and clodfool - the latter necessary before I could see any content. I tried a few random articles before seeing anything.

But I owe you many thanks for inadvertently teaching me something quite useful that I had not previously come across in all my years of using bash :

https://www.linuxlinks.com/excellent-utilities-mcfly-navigate-shell-history/

Using ^R on the command line brings up a search system where you can type part of the command and it does the rest. There are some partly-remembered commands with odd formatting that I'd love to be able to remember, which I use sparingly enough that they get pushed way back in the history. Being able to get them up with "^Rsc" or "^R48" - 3 keystrokes and a long command back.

So much thanks Doc, you've improved my mental health some - completely by accident! :)

(Speaking of command histories.. El Reg - that box we used to have that gave us threads we'd posted to which had new posts - can we get that back????)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon