Reply to post: Re: I don't understand all the ramifications, but...

Azure consultant to sue Google for linking his cached pics to cloned site, breach of copyright

FuzzyWuzzys

Re: I don't understand all the ramifications, but...

"Does that apply to photos taken in a public place..."

You do not and cannot own copyright to your face, copyright is for created "man-made" works. What you have is "personality rights". I can take your picture in a public place but I cannot use your face in commerical, publicity or promotional campaigns without you allowing me to. Models sign waiver rights, the "model release" that allows their face to be used for commercial or promotional purposes. I can ask you to sign a "model release" should I want to use your image used for commercial advertising and if we agree terms I might well have to pay you for that privilege depending upon the contract we draw up.

However I can take your photo in a public place without your permission and sell it as art in digital and print form, so long as I do not endorse or promote any products or services. I can also use images of your face captured in a public place for editorial use, that includes news and purely educational materials that explain something but do not promote any service or product. The reason is that if we needed "model releases" for every situaiton, CCTV would be outlawed as well as street photography, news, art, all sorts of "non-exploitative" works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon