Reply to post: Re: Disaster

It's Prime Minister Boris Johnson: Tech industry speaks its brains on Brexit-monger's victory

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Disaster

Two brothers?

We've had two President Bushes. The first had two brothers (Jonathan and William, aka "Bucky"), making - let me know if I'm going to fast here - three in total. Bush the Elder was not what you'd call a good president, but he wasn't an "idiot".

One of his sons became the second President Bush. He's no intellectual, but compared to Twitler, he has a certain cunning and low wit; I don't think "idiot" is justified, if only because we want to save that for the present sometimes occupant of the Oval Office.

Bush the Younger has three brothers: Jeb, former governor of Florida; Neil, famous for his role in the US S&L scandal; and Marvin, who apparently has managed to behave like a responsible human being and thus mostly escape media attention.

It's been said [citation needed] that the Bush family plan was to get Jeb, the "smart one", into the White House, but Jeb lost his first run for Florida in '94. That put him in the mansion for 1998-2006, meaning he wasn't available to run for President in 2000. Meanwhile George the Lesser had made it to Governor of Texas in '94, so he was on schedule for the big leagues in 2000.

But you're right that George's presidency was something of an obstacle to Jeb's candidacy for that position. Didn't stop Jeb from running against the Incoherent Cheeto and the rest of the shitstorm that was the 2016 Republican field, but the anti-incumbency, anti-dynasty political winds were against him.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon