Reply to post:

Low Barr: Don't give me that crap about security, just put the backdoors in the encryption, roars US Attorney General

whitepines
FAIL

I guess pen and paper will be banned too? Along with pencils and erasers?

"Evidence" going dark has *always* been a problem for law enforcement. That's why for centuries motive was often uncertain -- it's not like the Big Bad Guy tended to keep copious notes on why he was breaking the law, or if he did they tended to be either encrypted (yes, this was a thing even before computers!) or burned along with any other evidence before / during capture. Or simply hidden and not found. That's why evidence tended to be gathered from sources outside the Big Bad Guy's control -- spies, defecting buddies, policemen actually bothering to request records from individuals and companies that might have dealt with the Bad Guy, heck a simple tail is perfectly legal and probably still works today.

Try making open source illegal and the Chinese will pick the bones of the US clean after wiping the Yanks out economically. Most people I know from the boffin creator-type class would happily relocate to another country before giving up their rights to keep their internal conversations and research private, and the others would simply stop working or go into a less stressful field and eschew modern technology entirely. And that's not even going into how Hollywood will have "trillions" in damage from DRM no longer being effective (backdoor key == decrypted content, and with strong encryption illegal your average citizen can pin the "piracy" crime on anyone they want!).

Do you really want a world with no secrets? My sneaking suspicion is that a world like that would blow itself to bits as everyone knew everything that other people were thinking, offending nearly everyone, and the political class basically launching nukes in response. Not to mention the technological stalling and regression as everyone except a few stupid people cease research (no profit in it when you can just wait for some other idiot to spend his time and money to do something, then copy it for super cheap, right?). WWII started over stupidity like this, the human race is not evolved enough to handle this level of transparency. Full stop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon