Reply to post: Re: Police in impossible position

UK cops blasted over 'disproportionate' slurp of years of data from crime victims' phones

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Police in impossible position

"The rules which apply to the ordinary person, which require search warrants, reasonable suspicion, etc must apply, a fortiori, to a victim."

Yes. But once an accusation is made there are two potential victims. Anyone properly investigating such cases has to at least consider the possibility of a false accusation for the simple reason that it happens.

It's a long time since I was involved in such investigations so it's possible that things have changed but my experience was that there were a few cases which were self-evidently false and a few that were self-evidently genuine and a lot that were somewhere in between. I for one wouldn't have wanted to be part of a miscarriage of justice either way. I think it's probably one of the thorniest areas of criminal investigation. Every case requires thinking about. I'd certainly hate to be on a jury in such a case but the jury should have the best and fullest evidence before it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon