Reply to post: Re: Do you want a second referendum?

Brussels changes its mind AGAIN on .EU domains: Euro citizens in post-Brexit Britain can keep them after all

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Do you want a second referendum?

"Not one Leaver or Remainer I know has changed their mind in three years."

I have. Mine was a tactical vote, I didn't think the result of the vote would be to leave (because that's what the Cameron, the BBC and other London based media were telling us) but getting maybe 48% leave would help get the message through that the EC needs to change.

There are very real issues in the rest of the UK that London, the South East and the EC have chosen to ignore for decades and that's why so many chose to vote leave. Similar issues exist throughout the EU.

As it happens the large number of "leave" Euro MPs, the basket-case economies within the union, the growth of far-right and nationalist groups might get engender some change.

Despite the vindictive nature of the EC response to the vote, further evidence of their need to change, I would now vote remain to allow time for change - or in the absence of change, the inevitable collapse of the whole project. Let's hope that's a bit sooner than the 70 years it took for the Soviet Union to collapse.

The EC has been very short sighted in just leaving it to UK to decide to take a rubbish deal or leave with no deal. They could have spent some of the past 3 years saying - there are problem not just in UK, we need to address those and propose a reform package, then ask the UK to reconsider with a changed choice: leave or remain but we understand the reasons for a leave vote and this is how we will address those.

As John Maynard Keynes is quoted as saying: “When the facts change, I change my mind." Take that in association with Harold Wilson's "a week is a long time in politics."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon