Reply to post: Re: I am confused

Operation Desert Sh!tstorm: Routine test shoots down military's top-secret internets

Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: I am confused

But don't the hosts have to be members of the domain in order to move a VM between them? Or would you just copy the virtual disk file(s) and create a new VM to use them?

No. As long as you can do any of the following :

- Restore from a good backup

- Move the VM over to another host (said host also doesn't need to be part of the domain, just a standalone host)

and the VM starts up fine without any errors, you're good to go.

All of the backup DC's can be on hosts joined to a domain, I'm more concerned about the primary domain controller, for with it you have the keys to the kingdom...

You can also move VM's between standalone hosts, but it takes a bit more effort. (See the previous poster's post above mine).

Replication between standalone hosts is a major PITA to set up, but replication between hosts on the same domain is a piece of cake.

But should the worst come to the worst, and you cannot get the host up and running, but can access the storage and copy the VM's VHD off, then you can just copy this to another host, set up a new VM with the existing VM's virtual HDD and Bob's your uncle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon