Reply to post: Re: Luckily

Bulb smart meters in England wake up from comas miraculously speaking fluent Welsh

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Luckily

It is their culture so why not?

Depends. So smart meters aren't really part of Welsh culture, and ideally wouldn't be part of English or Scottish either. Some of the culture was dreamt up by the Victorians to flog stuff to tourists, and there's plenty of cultural appropriation. So nicking perfectly fine English words and turning them into Welsh. Unlike the English language, which just tends to take a word and see where it drifts.

It is interesting that some words are shared with other older British languages.

Yup.. All part of the UK's rich history of repeated invasions, assimilations and linguistic drift that often followed population drift in dodging said invaders. So Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Latin, Dutch, Scandanavian influences etc. For me, it's interesting hearing how languages evolve, ie someone speaking a foreign language then dropping a few recognisable words. Personally I'm not keen on languages that create local alternatives to words, but then I guess it's part of trying to preserve those languages.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon