Reply to post: "if America does not lead innovation in the digital currency and payments area"

Facebook's Libra is a terrorist's best friend, thunders US Treasury: Crypto-coins dubbed 'national security risk'

Pascal Monett Silver badge

"if America does not lead innovation in the digital currency and payments area"

America is already not leading in the digital currency and payments area. Paypal was created because America is a 3rd-world country when it comes to payment convenience. I read about all the initiatives that regularly crop up to make cash transfers easier and I always think "this will never take off in Europe".

Why ? Because I have a six-digit pin contactless Visa card that I can use anywhere in the world, and when I use it online I have a token generator that gives a six-digit number that I have to input to have the transaction authorized by my bank. I have online banking (also protected by a password and the token generator) where I can wire money to anyone I have the IBAN of. In short, I can manage and transfer my money as I please and very easily.

Then you have cryptocurrency, and yes I do believe that criminals are in charge of that. Either they are criminally incompetent exchange managers, or just outright criminals who stay in the game only long enough to have a nice bag of loot to leave with. I am not surprised that FaceBook wants in on that, it's right in The Zuck's mental ballpark. But I will no more deal with any cryptocurrency than I will willingly give FaceBook access to my private life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon