Reply to post: Re: How entanglement really works, how to prove it

Literally rings our bell: Scottish eggheads snap quantum entanglement for the first time

vtcodger Silver badge

Re: How entanglement really works, how to prove it

"Researchers then set up a super-sensitive camera capable of detecting single photons which would only take an image when it caught sight of both the photon and its entangled ‘twin’, creating a visible record of entanglement."

i.e. they filter for some property of two photons, and declare that as entanglement, and the filtering they do is really the cause of the entanglement effect. Let we walk you though how stupid entanglement is and what's actually going on.

-----

Ignoring the rest of the post -- which is way beyond my pay grade and apparently controversial ...

I think the first part (bolded above) might raise a valid issue. As I understand it (or don't), a photon is a massless "particle" conveying one quantum of electromagnetic radiation. How does one image such a thing with a camera? And how does anyone know that the pair of objects imaged are entangled rather than just blundering along in close formation by pure chance?

Hoping to learn something here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon