Reply to post: interesting

Facebook devs devise Hermes to push cross-platform JavaScript to godlike speeds

JLV

interesting

Without at all saying anything complimentary about FB, the social network, or FB, the tax-avoiding corporation, I have to say that FB, the technology company does produce some rather interesting open source stuff.

- whatever their open server hardware specs initiative is called.

- React, which is the main winner of the JS GUI frameworks, Angular having kinda lost the thread with their release-to-release incompatibilities. I much prefer Vue.js myself and find JSX, i.e. sprinkling HTML into JS, an abominable concept, but you can't argue that React isn't capturing a lot of mindshare.

- GraphQL, which at least at the Query language/API/schema definition level is quite brilliant. Less convinced about how you would need to put together a backend if you can't use a prebuilt one like Apollo - all the examples I have seen so far have been pretty "Hello World" in terms of complexity. But the query language itself is still incredibly expressive and readable compared to everything else but SQL. And, unlike SQL or REST, it allows consolidation of multiple sources by the backend, rather than forcing the client to fetch multiple things.

Which leads me to think that they are not eating their own GraphQL dogfood all that well yet if:

>does a page really need to make 150 requests?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon