Reply to post: Re: Wi-Fi 6 represents the end of the idea of wiring desks for Ethernet

RTFM: Wireless Broadband Alliance squeezes out 40-page ode to the joy of Wi-Fi 6

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Wi-Fi 6 represents the end of the idea of wiring desks for Ethernet

Exactly.

A dedicated one-gig tube direct to your PC? Or a fraction-of-a-gig, time-sliced, interferable, unpredictable radio connection shared with everyone in radio range?

My rule of thumb for people who "just don't get it": Wifi is *at least* 20 times slower than a cable. It's that simple. I'm sure you can demo a really fast connection in a greenfield environment, but in the real world you're sharing it with everyone's mobile phone, tablet, etc. not to mention a huge tract of unlicensed spectrum users in the form of everything from doorbells to microwaves.

Just assume, no matter what, that Wifi is *at least* 20 times slower. It works. You have a roaming profile on your work PC that takes a minute to log in? Yeah, that's going to take 20 minutes to happen over wifi. I kid you not.

And when wifi does catch up so that even 1/20th of it is enough to run gigabit, then we'll all have 10G and 40G Ethernet connections anyway (10Gb is actually viable today, if you just have a little money to spend on it - the problem is the backend connection on the switch but if it has the processing power, you can get around that with LACP).

It's fine for casual browsing. It's fine for home use. But it's 20 times slower than a cable. It's that simple. And the more you use it, deploy it, and mix it up between old and new wifi, the worse that ratio gets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021