Reply to post: Re: @AC

Yuge U-turn: Prez Trump walks back on Huawei ban... at least the tech sector seems to think so

codejunky Silver badge

Re: @AC

@ds6

"Why does everyone immediately quantify the effectiveness of a president by comparing them to other presidents? I don't care if Obama's shitshow was better or worse than Trump's, I just want better results in general."

How do you judge better in general without comparing previous presidents? Under Obama the US was weaker and thats after Bush! Under Trump it would seem to be stronger even if he is disliked (and there are good reasons to dislike him). He is unwinding damage inflicted by the previous president, so thats an improvement. The economy is in a better state even with some of his damaging ideas such as trade war.

"And, no, an increase of tensions and violence I would still not call progress."

Such as the arab spring? Increased tensions with Russia? N.Korea developing nukes? All before Trump and he would agree with you over not going to the middle east as was done. He is actually engaging with Russia (the one that told the US to get out of the way while it fired its missiles into Syria). He is engaging with N.Korea which may actually bring progress, something not yet achieved with the Utopia country. An ineffective agreement with Iran to stop trying to make nukes in such an unstable country was ditched for actual action, actual threat not some 'red line' to be redrawn.

"But this is neither here nor there. I was only commenting on "his domestic policy" being to post on Twitter about deciding to bomb someone or not. That is most certainly not how you increase relations with a country."

Did he nearly bomb them? He is quick to twitter and everyone soaks it up especially his opponents. Is he crazy enough to do it? Yes or no he has convinced plenty people that he would. Compare that to Obama who would retreat with red lines, does the US look more or less likely to act now?

As I have said there are many reasons not to like Trump but he certainly seems a step up from his predecessor who was worse than his predecessor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon