Reply to post: Re: What transition?

This major internet routing blunder took A WEEK to fix. Why so long? It was IPv6 – and no one really noticed

JJKing
Mushroom

Re: What transition?

They underestimated the drag of millions of sysadmins having to unlearn everything they know and learn a new, harder system.

And all those noobies coming into the profession will only need to learn IPv6 and then be streets ahead of those who do not update their "skills" and IT knowledge.

I came from IPX/SPX, NetBEUI and had to learn that oh so difficult IPv4. Yes IPv6 is different but it is part of our required knowledge and to be honest, it is not like it was just released a week ago. This is something any IT Professional should have been looking at and learning about for the past 10 to 15 years. Yes I found IPv4 easy, especially when I could remember the IP range of each site I worked in. It is a lot easier to remember 12 digits then 128 alpha numeric. That is never going to happen so it is not on my to do list. Instead I will see what the IT Pros cleverer than me come up with so I can adapt and overcome.

It's not hard, just difficult, for a short period of time, until it is not difficult anymore and yes, I am an IPv6 fanboi and proud of it. It is the way of the future like the automobile was better than the horse and buggy. Bet new horseless carriage drivers found it difficult to learn after spending all their life on a horse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon