Reply to post: Re: Goodies and Baddies

White House mulls just banning strong end-to-end crypto. Plus: More bad stuff in infosec land

Kiwi
Pint

Re: Goodies and Baddies

Yup - Kiwi born and bred.

Not far from Wellington, in fact I was twice past the Trades Hall just this last week - never even knew where it was till a newspaper article on it a few days back (stuff.co.nz if you wanna look more into it - I think they had pictures of a copy of the bomb on there as well - I block their BS JS so only going by captions)

We're only at the level of what is (or at least used to be) taught in the school science and home-economics classes (eg "don't mix bleach and other cleaners"), accentuated by a little experience (SHIT! Mixing up those PSU cables[1] made that little cap give off one hell of a shower of sparks!) and a little too much thinking :)

[1] I had 2 computers, one with 2x IIRC 4 pin PSU cables (back in the pre-ATX days when you had 2 cables that were identical in plug shape) and one 5pin+3pin cable. One computer had it's PSU disconnected for some reason, and so I reasoned that the other one probably matched it - all the black or all the red wires in the middle. One of the two machines had a NEC board in it. Suffice to say I was wrong, and my first ever PSU connection on a PC resulted in my getting an education about just how energetically a tiny little blue ceramic capacitor (roughly the size of those bright plastic pin heads) could explode. Imagine if I'd just given the board a quick clean with IPA and it was still wet in that area... (ok maybe not enough to cause a fire, but the flare would've been at least equivalent of 4 or 5 Bryant & May match heads going off at once)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon