Reply to post:

White House mulls just banning strong end-to-end crypto. Plus: More bad stuff in infosec land

Kiwi
Paris Hilton

I'll support Congress, Presidents, Governments etc passing any new law they like under one condition - the law only applies to them for the first 12 months of coming into force. We'll see how long such laws survive

They'll last a very long time. Free travel for life, tax exempt for family and friends for life, the ability to issue a pardon to whoever they want whenever they want for whatever they want - for life (think of the money and favours that power would earn them), instant automatic ownership of any property they want (unless someone else in the same scheme has already claimed ownership).

No, you'll have to limit it to any laws that would be harmful to the man-in-the-street - and even then I can see a dozen ways they'd bring in the stuff I listed above. But there must be a way to close most of the loopholes (perhaps a clause that says "if you find a loophole in this law, the public gets to vote on if we get to put one in your head"?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon