Reply to post: Not having a 'Plan B' is madness

Stop using that MacBook Pro RIGHT NOW, says Uncle Sam: Loyalists suffer burns, smoke inhalation and worse – those crappy keyboards

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Not having a 'Plan B' is madness

If you are a pro who needs their machine 24/7 you have to have a Plan 'B' for when that device fails.

How easy is it to spill coffee over the laptop in the morning? Come on now hands up.... Don't be shy...

Be the machine a MacBook or some generic device running Windows or Linux you really need a backup machine.

Plus a very recent backup naturally.

How old is your most recent full backup eh? You know the one that can allow you to restore all your work plus apps on a new machine...?

I had an issue with a 2012 MBP a couple of years ago. It needed a new Motherboard. At the time it was my main device so I pulled out my even older 2009 one and got it going again. Then I rolled a time machine backup onto it and carried on all be it a lot slower and with a smaller screen but it did the job and I was able to carry on working until my main machine was repaired.

I recently bought a new 2019 MBP. The 2012 machine is now the backup and the 2009 model went to a good cause.

but if you are anal about backups and have a plan B there would be no story now would there.

All of the above applies equally to Windows and Linux users.

In one job we were issued with HP laptops. These too were prone to having expanding batteries so after a while out manage found the money so that he could by two spares that would be used when HP was repairing the duff ones. It does not take many hours of sitting twiddling your thumbs at £80/hour (or more) for the costs to outweigh even the cost of a MacBook Pro.

Be prepared. You never know when that coffee is going to go where it shouldn't...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon