Reply to post: Re: I call bullshit

Having bank problems? I feel bad for you son: I've got 25 million problems, but a bulk upload ain't one

Alien8n

Re: I call bullshit

"You're not a real engineer until you've made at least one $50k mistake"

Only $50k? I've known people make £500k mistakes and still somehow keep their jobs. I've also been on the receiving end of some engineer's mistakes and had the pleasure of phoning the CEO on a Sunday to tell him I was shutting down a £50M a day production line until the next day when every single device hit test and started failing because of said engineering cock ups. Not once, but twice.

For those interested: IGBTs that were supposed to be 5V rated. On silicon these should be tested to about 5.2V, the waferfab set their pass limit to 7V because they did such a bad job on them which resulted in a 90% fail rate at final test. The second time the IGBTs were built with a design flaw that meant current leaked across the gates. Ironically the design flaw meant that any that didn't fail the leakage test were nigh on indestructible and would pass avalanche testing at a spec way above anything they were designed for. From memory these ones had about 70% fail rates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon