Reply to post: Re: Leap Out And Let It Burn

Comms room, comms room, comms room is on fire – we don't need no water, let the engineer burn

Muscleguy

Re: Leap Out And Let It Burn

Except if you did the fire training course you will not charge in with the wrong extinguisher. You will cautiously advance with the right extinguisher held in front of you, nozzle up.

I volunteer in a charity shop. One of the things I did when I started was to note the position and types of all the extinguishers. Whoever chose and placed them knew what they were doing which was reassuring.

Here at home I have a small extinguisher in the pantry cupboard and a fire blanket on the wall in the kitchen in easy reach for oil fires. Neither has ever been used because I'm careful. The washer/drier caught fire (melted primary connection block). But that only gave off flames, rather than smoke when I got the top off and lifted up to air. Foot long flame. I dumped it in the sink and ran water on it. Then Put it outside and piled snow on it. The machine followed as soon as the wet clothes were removed (it was in wash cycle, this wasn't a drier fire). Thank goodness we were home to smell the smoke and react. Turning the power off did not diminish the smoke so I had to escalate.

Wrestling a machine filled with water and clothes out so you can get at the top fixings at the back of it is HARD work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon