Reply to post:

Must watch: GE's smart light bulb reset process is a masterpiece... of modern techno-insanity

Drew Scriver

Some time ago I purchased two dozen of these bulbs when my favorite home improvement store was virtually giving them away.

The Bluetooth angle intrigued me because I'm not into getting spied on by my light bulbs. I'm very, very familiar with the reset cycle (and shocked they still have that). The bulbs are driven by the phone app, which brought on the first issue: without a phone they don't do much. In other words, if you're not home or out of range the 'intelligent' features don't work...

At some point the app stopped working. Traced it down to my proxy/firewall, which I had configured to block scantily and no-clad people as well as all traffic from China. The China filter reported catching requests from my phone, which turned out to be the GE app. With trepidation I carved an exception for the address in question, only to get blocked again. Turns out the GE developer(s) were using a shared web server in China that was known for hosting said no-clad ladies I was blocking.

This was all in addition to other (security) issues, but I figured I'd be a good customer and report them to GE. They could not have been less interested, I'm afraid.

So I took my stash of bulbs back to my favorite home improvement store. To be honest, it was kind of fun telling them _why_ I was returning them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon