Reply to post: Re: Can someone tell me why Venmo is a thing?

FYI: Your Venmo transfers with those edgy emojis aren't private by default. And someone's put 7m of them into a public DB

big_D Silver badge

Re: Can someone tell me why Venmo is a thing?

Over here, Germany, you generally each pay your part of the bill. The waitress just crosses off what you've paid for and tallies it up and gives you the bill for your portion. You then pay with either cash or debit card.

Or if one person gets the bill, they "get" the bill, as in they have invited the others at his expense. With one group of friends, we take it in turns to pay - but we don't have a selfish sod in the group, who chooses the most expensive fish on the menu, just because he isn't paying. Sometimes I'll eat a salad, sometimes a steak, the others as well, over time, it evens itself out.

On a couple of occasions we've been out with the company and you either pay back the next day/week or you transfer the money from your bank account to theirs. Often, on a Friday, someone will go to the take-away and often somebody will have no cash, so the person collecting fronts for them and they pay back the next week.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon