Reply to post:

Underground network targets Salisbury: Not the Russian death crew, this time it's Openreach laying fibre-optic cables

JetSetJim

I feel entitled to having a problem with BT as they are a complete shit-shower in every dealing I've had with them. I built a house - BT pole on the front lawn, engineer says it has a couple of spare termination points so should be no problem. Gave them 3 months notice to install a line, had all the internal wiring ready in the house. 2 missed appointments, no install. Ring up to escalate, connection request gets cancelled at back office as "we're only running FTTP there", even though there was no fibre in my exchange, but instead they thought it was a different exchange in a different village. Could not get them to reinstate the request for a copper line - they insisted it had to be fibre. Naturally the engineers on the ground could not install a fibre line.

There may well be some admirable engineers (some I've met) and back office staff, but their processes and administration let them down really badly. This may well be due to a history of chronic uncerfunding, or some other factors - I don't give a crap. Openreach have done a crap job of rolling out fibre to date, and they well be rolling out fibre to a whole town - but I wouldn't be surprised if they balls it up somehow.

For my house, by pure coincidence, Gigaclear were laying fibre and their sales guy went past. Said they "could do it tomorrow". They did. Nuff said, I was happy with them. The first year or two they fell over a few times, but they seem to have built some network resilience now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon