Reply to post: Re: I'm sure humans wouldn't be that much better

Silicon Valley doesn't care about poor people: Top AI models kinda suck at ID'ing household stuff in hard-up nations

Kernel

Re: I'm sure humans wouldn't be that much better

"Well, there are the problems then as some of my friends are "of color" shall we say and there are objects in their homes that I'd be hard pressed to identify without knowing the people."

Wow! - are you really saying that you go so far out of your way to be "friends" with people who have a different skin colour to you, that there are basic domestic items in their homes that you don't recognize - and this would not apply to some of your "friends" who are of the same skin colour, but a different cultural background eg., Amish?

Apart from coming across as being somewhat condescending, that does suggest a woeful degree of ignorance on your part.

Ok, I'll agree that many people might have something pertaining to their particular cultural background hanging on a wall or scattered around for either functional or decorative purposes, and I might not know exactly what their traditional name for that item is, but I can still recognise what is essentially a knife, a drum, a wall hanging, a harness for a horse and buggy, etc. I might even not know the names of the traditional foods they might eat, or what those foods are made from, but even if seen in isolation I doubt very much I'd ever get confused between food and a bar of soap.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon