Reply to post: Re: Its the updates

Large Redmond Collider: CERN reveals plan to shift from Microsoft to open-source code after tenfold license fee hike

Evil3eaver

Re: Its the updates

There is your problem don't use 3rd party repos. I know it is hard sometimes to not do this but you will have an extremely stable experience. FYI what you can do is install synaptic and select the library in question and press ctrl-E (or select Package in the file menu and then select "Force Version") which will let you revert back to original ubuntu repo version so you can undo the 3rd party repo changes. It's a bit of pain in the a$$ but things can be fix ... unlike windows where your pretty much F'ed and clean install is by far the easiest and quickest way to a fix.

Advice to the linux noobs, only use big vendor 3rd party repos like oracle (cringe, don't like to say it but...) google (again cringe, do(n't) be evil) or repos that have had many years of existence.

I know it is a bit tough at first for everyone who has made this transition has had these pains but it does subside.... talking from experience.

It took me about 5 years to go from "WTH just happened, black screen, WTF is going on", or "What is this kernel panic thing repeating on my screen, WTH is a kernel..." or being told (post 2005) "be careful if you don't set things properly in linux you could burn out your hardware" to being the linux expert in the office. Now I run my own lab and only use Windows where I am forced to (and believe me I fight to get a linux desktop every time). Was recently told that my workstation in the lab are going to upgraded and since this is my lab and I am responsible for everything within it I demanded linux, and the excuse what about new people that come in... my response is "This is security engineering, there is no such thing as I don't know linux and if that is the case why did you hire him/her... I don't want them". Like seriously anyone who has graduated any security course like anywhere in the world has heard of Kali so no excuses. If you passed your course then you know linux, period.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon