Reply to post:

Large Redmond Collider: CERN reveals plan to shift from Microsoft to open-source code after tenfold license fee hike

NATTtrash

OK, I'll bite. I think that technically minded has nothing to do with it. Open minded perhaps, complacency maybe.

Nobody can or should determine your workflow and choice of tools. Then again, as we all know, many do/ try. But your argument about "industry standards" is rubbish.

First industry standards develop by use in practice and by general consensus. Repeating that something is an industry standard is always almost exclusively done by manufacturers/ suppliers to defend/ promote/ market their own product.

Further, it's only software, so solutions are always possible. For example if MS would conform to ISO standards, compatibility wouldn't even be an issue. As would the program to create content not be either. Oh, and for the industry standard Photoshop you mention? (No I won't mention Gimp, because after 25 years I'm too lazy for that): it runs perfectly fine without issues on my *nix with wine, while all my other open source image viewers have absolutely no issues with .psd files... You know what is an issue with Photoshop? That it keeps phoning home, and then remotely is reminded that it's the industry standard used in a non-industry standard way.

As Adobe wil tell you themselves, "Your only limit is your imagination", as long as you do what they tell you to do. I suppose that's what you get when imagination and intelligence becomes you can only buy in a box and/or install through an app...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon