Reply to post: Re: OSS isn't Free Software

This Free software ain't free to make, pal, it's expensive: Mozilla to bankroll Firefox with paid-for premium extras

heyrick Silver badge

Re: OSS isn't Free Software

"Essentially your browser is supposed to act as a "smart terminal", sharing some of the work load."

A great factor in what's happening may well be because the browser of today is dealing with stuff that wasn't even considered possible when hypertext was devised. Google Docs, for instance, a full GUI word processor in a browser.

That still doesn't mean that Mozilla doesn't appear to be going out of their way to piss off established users in order to try desperately to be like some other browser instead of playing to their own strengths. I too have disabled automatic updates as I'm sick of stuff randomly breaking. I choose Firefox exactly because of the range of useful extensions that it offers (and the fact that the mobile version doesn't bugger up text sizes in an attempt to be clever, like Chrome). But if stuff keeps breaking, well there's two choices. Stick with a version that works, or find something else. Maybe that explains the dwindling share?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon